Thursday, April 24, 2008

Email Clean-Up #29 in iHCPL

I've been doing spring cleaning on my work and person email accounts. I saw my work account's quota usage drop from over 20% to .6%! I feel much "lighter" now that I don't have all those old emails cluttering up my mailbox. I went through each email and just asked myself if I needed the email any longer or if I could easily live without it. If I needed the email, I either wrote down the information or I printed it out. Then I deleted and purged and deleted and purged!

Using some of the GTD principles, I developed three folders that I could initially move emails into so that they would be "collected" in one spot. I analyzed the email that I receive and I decided to name the folders from the three main duty areas that are in my job description. Most of my email falls into one of those areas. I plan to go through my email three times a day (when I arrive, lunch and before I leave) to see if the email falls into one of the three folder areas. If the email doesn't, I will address the email by responding to it or deleting it. If the email does fall into one of those three job areas, I will move the email to that folder. Once a week (on Thursday) I will go through the folders to clear them out completely.

No comments: